Commute to Tel Aviv

So I'll speak about Beit Shemesh. The city bus takes 30-45 minutes to get to the train. And it's a bouncy ride. The train to Tel Aviv is 40 minutes, to Herzlia is 60. I take another but to my destination North of Herzila. My commute is 2 + hours each way. It's brutal. I leave the house at 7:10 AM and return at 8:15 PM, unless there's trouble with the train.

If you work near the first stop Hagannah, then your commute could be 1:30 if you have a car. At 20,000 dollars for one with 200,000 miles, it might not be so simple to get one.

There is a minyan both ways. The nusach changes with the shliach hatzibur. In the morning, it's crowded, which is a tough way to go with tefillin and tallis and birchas cohanim. Overall  the commute is beat and the minyan is not conducive to much cavanah.

I don't know why they don't have a separate minyan in the next car where some guys who can't take the crush sit. I'd push for it but my Hebrew being weak, I have become somewhat passive here.

The train has groups of seats that face each other and have a table in the middle. It's comfy but often dirty, particularly on the trip home. 

The people outside the minyan are mostly non-religious. A large percentage of them are solders and Israeli solders are not happy people. They are grimacing and macho and they have this annoying habit of leaving their guns on their laps with the barrel pointing right at other people, even you. The women are not tznius for the most part. Like everywhere else on the planet, everyone starts at smart phones.

The commute is very tough even for a New Yorker who is used to spending half his life commuting. For somebody from Cleveland who had a 10 minute drive to the Cleveland Clinic or something like that, I would think it would be unbearable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forget about reading and talking to people

It’s All About Power and Stuff

Stay where you are