Rabbi Joseph Soloveitchik on moving to Israel

 Here is what Rabbi Joseph Soloveitchik said about aliyah:

"It is ridiculous to tell a young man, who does a good job, or has prepared or trained himself to do a good job [here in the U.S., that he must instead go to ארצ ישראל]. "Good job" means to spread Torah, or to lead an exemplary life which serves as an example to others through personal contact - there are many ways to convert and educate Jews. I am not giving up on American Jews. If I feel that in my town, or in my village, I will accomplish a lot, and when I come to Eretz Yisrael so I or my influence will be reduced to zero, my place is here, not there. Some who went to Eretz Yisrael achieved the same objectives they would have in the Diaspora. But only some! I know of many who fail. They don't admit it. It's nice on their part not to admit it." 

(Rabbi Joseph B. Soloveitchik, The Rav Thinking Aloud, pp. 242-3).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forget about reading and talking to people

It’s All About Power and Stuff

Stay where you are